Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A dream of fish

I don’t always subscribe to the belief that there are hidden meanings in dreams, but I do believe that dreams are our minds ways of working through life’s problems, and making sense of our questions. I believe if we pay close attention to them we will see the meanings clearly. There is an old proverb that says, “Only the most foolish of mice would hide in a cat’s ear, but only the wisest of cats would think to look there.” In other words, don’t overlook the obvious. The meaning is there, we just have to be willing to listen.

I remember, when I was 15 I had a dream that ended up teaching me a lesson. I was walking down the street, next to some businesses, when Christ came out of one of the doors and started walking with me. We were having a great conversation, when I asked if he had a fish tank. He stopped and pointed behind me. “Look behind you.” he said.

I looked behind me and within seconds we were surrounded by fish floating in the air. He informed me that each fish represented the spirit of every person on the Earth. “Which one is mine?” I asked admiring the different shapes and sizes of the fish.

He pointed at a brightly colored fish, with yellow and red stripes. I reached my hand out, and the fish floated into it. When I closed my hand, I could feel the fish shrinking, so I opened my hand and saw that the fish had disappeared. The longer I left my hand open the fish started to grow and eventually floated back up to join the other fish.

About two years after having that dream, the meaning became clear, when I ended up turning to Christ to solve a problem.

The meaning is this. The fish represent us, and as long as we give control of our lives to Christ, he will take care of us, and we will stay healthy and strong. When we try to take control of our own lives we lose our strength and kill our spirit. Only when we give the control back our spirit can regain its former strength.

That is what it means to me.

Challenge: Take a look at some of your past dreams and see if there might be a meaning in it.

Enjoy,
Allen

1 comment:

  1. The Lord has given me many dreams along the years since I was 9 y.o. At 15 the dreams became more prominent since I was older. I would like to write an article about them one day. But I'm afraid it would turn into a book quite by accident since there are so many! Thank you for sharing your dream, we do learn so many things from them.

    Cindy Hernandez

    ReplyDelete